Thursday, January 24, 2013

The Real Coca-Cola Cake

The Real Coca Cola Cake


Have you ever had fond memories as a child of the one dessert that was your idea of perfect?  We did.  It was probably the only thing our family consistently agreed on...Coca-Cola Cake.  My poor mother made it for all of our birthdays, all the holidays, and even all of her work functions!  It is the most perfect combination of chocolate, fudge, and sweetness.  Who needs dopamine when there is Coca-Cola Cake nearby?  The above combination of the ingredients above will bring an unknown bliss to all who try it!

So why did I name this "The Real Coca-Cola Cake"...easy...there are many imposters out there.  Most are modified versions of a Texas Sheet Cake, which in its own rite is also very yummy.  However, it is not the Coca-Cola Cake we loved as children.  It just so happened that in the days before the Internet I would call my Mom and ask her to give me recipes over the phone.  I would write them down on whatever paper I had handy and keep them somewhere "safe".  I thought my fave recipe was lost forever...doomed to an existence in that "safe" place it wound up in.  Lo and behold when I was moving some items around I looked down to find these pitiful yellowed index cards.  THAT WAS IT!  OMG!!  It was really there in my hand!  I took pix of it and shared it with my family...immediately!  Now I am sharing with you!


 
(yes i know...its upside down!  I couldn't figure out how to flip it!)

Cola Cake (we double this for a 9x13)
1 cup flour
1 cup sugar
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup margarine
1/2 cup coke (not sure how diet coke would work...why mess with perfection)
1/4 cup mini marshmallows
2 tsp unsweetened cocoa
1/4 cup buttermilk
1 egg beaten

In a large bowl mix flour, sugar, and soda together and set aside.  In a saucepan over low heat stir margarine, cola, and cocoa until hot and starting to bubble.  Add marshmallows and turn off heat. Stir until the marshmallows are mostly melted (yes there will be some little pieces left but they give the cake character)
Stir this chocolaty elixir into the bowl with the flour. Add the buttermilk and egg and continue to stir until blended.  Bake in a 8x8x2 in greased and floured pan at 350 for 30 minutes.

When the cake comes out of the oven start making the icing...it goes on hot!  MMMMMMM!

Chocolate Cola Icing (also double for a 9x13)
1/4 cup margarine
2 tbs. cocoa
2 tbs. coke
1 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
1/2 cup chopped nuts (pecans are my favorite)
In a sauce pan over low heat stir the margarine, cocoa, and cola. Remove from heat. With whisk or fork beat in sugar until smooth.  (it helps to sift the sugar first...it helps to avoid lumps).  Pour onto cake.

 

 

Wait for the icing to cool and harden up...trust me its worth the wait!  Grab a cold glass of milk, your favorite cake eating fork, and hid in the safest place in your house because the family will be searching for the cake that left the house smelling so delicious!  Go ahead...indulge...you deserve it!  : )













No comments:

Post a Comment